Simple Local Avatars
Download the files here...Download Version 1.3.1
Adds an avatar upload field to user profiles if the current user has media permissions. Generates requested sizes on demand just like Gravatar! Simple and lightweight.
Just edit a user profile, and scroll down to the new "Avatar" field. The plug-in will take care of cropping and sizing!
Unlike other avatar plug-ins, Simple Local Avatars:
- Stores avatars in the "uploads" folder where all of your other media is kept
- Has a simple, native interface
- Fully supports Gravatar and default avatars if no local avatar is set for the user
- Generates the requested avatar size on demand (and stores the new size for efficiency), so it looks great, just like Gravatar!
- Let's you decide whether lower privilege users (subscribers, contributors) can upload their own avatar
- Install easily with the WordPress plugin control panel or manually download the plugin and upload the extracted folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
- If you only want users with file upload capabilities to upload avatars, check the applicable option under Settings > Discussion
- Start uploading avatars by editing user profiles!
Use avatars in your theme using WordPress' built in
get_avatar() function: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_avatar
You can also use
get_simple_local_avatar() (with the same arguments) to retreive local avatars a bit faster, but this will make your theme dependent on this plug-in.